Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Post by Request

Readers,
This is a special post, dedicated to a special reader, who requested two specific posts from me, so here is one of them. Here is the request I received: "I would like to see some discussion of chess strategies and ways to size up your opponent's mental hardiness." A fascinating request, I'm sure you will agree. Well, I must say that first of all, one of the best chess strategies is distraction. When playing chess IRL, you can use all sorts of methods to achieve distraction. I like to point at a spot behind my opponent and cry alarmingly, "look at that!" This is, incidentally, a great way to size up your opponent's mental hardiness--surely, they won't be stupid enough to look? But I am a good actor...Now, in online chess, the great way to distract your opponent is to use the chat function. You can try to psych them out by bullying: "you suck!" or behaving like an automaton: "good luck!" (this is what the computer tells you if you are playing it). You can add "you're going to need it" to the end of the "good luck!" comment to combine strategies. Discussing complicated intellectual matters while playing is a good way to distract and size up your opponent, although this is understandably harder online. Of course, I have myriad strategies, and most of them I will be happy to share. In the future. Let's make this a series. I will be back soon with another installment.
Love ya,
Torero

5 comments:

  1. This strategy sounds dis-integritous.

    BTW, I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chess is ultimately a game of war, and as they say, all's fair in love and war...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Torero said: "Chess is ultimately a game of war, and as they say, all's fair in love and war." Chess is also a game of honore. What is the honor in ur stategy of foolery?

    I find your blog entertaining, but, I find some of your posts, disapointing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Anonymous,
    I'm glad you find my blog entertaining but not so happy that you are disappointed in me. One cannot please everyone...and my comments were made in jest. I agree that chess is a game of honor, and am glad you have reminded me of this. Thank you for reading.
    ~Torero

    ReplyDelete